Skip to main content

The 4-year Old Menace to Society



She seems cute and innocent, right? Well, she is cute. But she is far from innocent. I have two other children (her older siblings) all too willing to throw her under the bus when it comes time to place blame.

Just this morning I had my 8-year old describe in detail how Jerica (pictured) ripped a toy shopping cart from her grasp. The 8-year old wanted me to retrieve it for her. 'I'm not going in there,' was my reply, 'not if she can overpower people twice her size.'

No more than 20 minutes later, my 6-year old son showed me how his 4-year old sister was strong-arming him and throwing him up against the wall, as if she were some insane member of the Mob telling a cohort exactly how it's done around here. (By the way, there is not much funnier entertainment than watching your son reenact this event by grabbing his own collar and throwing himself up against the wall.)

I didn't buy it. After all, this little girl was idly standing by practicing her perfect princess smile while batting her eyes. How could I believe she was capable of such brutality? Then again...

Doesn't darkness often masquerade as light? How many other seemingly innocent things am I allowing into my life that are actually weapons of mass destruction? I guess it's true what they say about judging a book by its' cover, because when Jerica was asked about these accusations, a slow smile spread across her face. Guilty as charged.

Truth is to be sought after, no matter what it looks like.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...