Skip to main content

You Have Heard That it Was Said

Recently one of the teens dropped this one on me, rotflshidmt. I don’t use most of these simply because I have not received a copy of a text-to-English dictionary. I’d rather just type it out. But something this ridiculous is just begging to be used. It stands for 'Rolling on the floor, laughing so hard I dropped my Taco.'

There are obviously many problems with this. Do you really want to be on the floor of a Taco Bell? Who actually has friends that are this funny? Do you realize how hard it is to clean up a taco off the ground? There is so much filling that it will take forever.

But it did get me thinking. Are there things in my life that have distracted me from other, more important things? Sure, maybe I’m having a good time in life. But what am I missing? This isn’t about wanting more just to have more. But I would hate to be guilty of Jesus’ warning to gain the whole world and yet lose my soul.
The Bible actually talks quite a bit about remembering and not forgetting and keeping up certain habits daily, weekly, all the time. I have selected just a few.

In terms of connecting with God…

Psalm 119:16
I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
In terms of connecting with others…
Hebrews 10:25
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
(This also has to do with worshiping God, but the focus is on together.)

In terms of ministry…
Acts 6:2
So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, "It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables.

1 Timothy 4:14
Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
We each have gifts and a special call to some part of the shared ministry. What is it? What are we doing to grow our gifts and use our gifts?
What have we dropped that we should pick up? Daily habits?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d