Skip to main content

Tree Ball

As a youth pastor I pretend to be able to keep up with teenagers. Admittedly, this was easier 10 years ago than it is now. I know I'm not alone. For instance, I can remember a time when I did not have to keep track of what was said on Facebook and what was said IRL. Don't be confused by my use of text-talk. IRL is one of three abbreviations of which I know the meaning. The other two being lol (which I refuse to use) and rotflshidmt (which is simply ridiculous).

My inability to text proficiently aside, teenagers continue to be a group that grab my heart, while at the same time confuse and frustrate me. A better example is the youth group game. I have rarely, if ever, been successful in getting an entire group of teens to play, much less enjoy, a youth group game. And sometimes what I find stupid they find amusing, for hours on end.

Such was the case a few weeks ago when one of the teens suggested Tree Ball. What's tree ball? Simple. Teens climb a tree while the leaders take playground balls and throw them at the teens in the tree. If we connect, we get points. If we don't, they get points. Seriously? This sounds more like what happened to me, against my will, just after being pantsed on the way home from school. I wouldn't have been caught so often if my knee-high socks didn't keep falling down. Needless to say I never got any points in this game.

But I was told by my teens that this was, in fact, fun and could even be tied to spiritual themes. Take Zaccheus. He was in a tree. He was hated enough that people probably wanted to pelt him with playground balls. Of course, they didn't, because Jesus was in the area, and people always act their best when a pastor is around.

But what was the deal with Zaccheus and the tree anyway? Sure, I know he was a wee little man, but couldn't he have gotten a seat with the children in the front row as the Jesus parade was passing by? We often applaud Jesus because he ate with tax collectors and 'sinners', but isn't it just as big a deal that he ate with Zac, the weirdo in the tree?

I suppose there is something to be said about how far Zac went to have some time and attention with Jesus. After all, when's the last time you did something crazy just to spend some time with Jesus? Perhaps there is something to this little game after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...