Skip to main content

Colors of God...part 1


OK, so the Church is broken, now what?
If you're like me, you've read a lot of books containing theory as to the why and the what of church problems and solutions. But what if we had a collaborative effort of church theorist-practitioners who produce solid paradigms, but do so in the context of sharing and testing in a local congregation? We do: It's called The Colors of God.

That's what the review for this book said, so how could I pass it up? After all, my church isn't perfect. And if someone has usable ideas, I would like to use them. Plus, I like colors.

Lots of books propose to start a conversation. This book accomplished that, helped along by the fact that it was a conversation already. It was written as if the three authors sat down and talked about stuff and some poor fourth guy got the enviable job of writing it all down. This made the book easy-to-read as the authors did a good job of stopping each other when clarification was needed.

They divided the book into four colors. For those of us born before sienna and chartreuse were popular, they went with Blue, Red, Green and Yellow.

Blue = Gospel Faith. This is where they tackled some big topics, like discussing how scandalous God's grace may actually be.
Green = Healthy Living. This is where they took their foundation and presented a new paradigm for thinking about Church and relationships.
Red = Community. Lots of conversation about community and authenticity.
Yellow = Cultural Engagement. How? Why?

The conversational style helped. By the last section I felt like I knew where they were coming from and why they felt the way they did. This is not to say that I agreed with everything they said or their interpretation about all the scriptures they used. But I felt safe to disagree because of the openness in which they shared. They even conclude with a short section on how they see their role with the larger church.

The biggest strength of this book is that it does not leave everything concluded. It leaves me free to think and ponder and share the ideas with friends.

This book was provided for free review by my new best friends at theooze.com.

http://nexuschurch.com - the congregation these authors started

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...