Skip to main content

I'm Not Guilty

So Reggie Bush gave back his Heisman Trophy. I don't want to get into the ins and outs of USC and how they did or didn't break the rules. But when giving it back, Reggie said that it wasn't an admission of guilt.

It sounds to me like he got advice. 'Give it back and you keep people off of you either way.' I could be wrong. But I'm not sure what else makes you give back an award you won if you believe you won it fair and square.

In Job 27:5-6, Job is speaking back against his good friends who keep telling him to admit he's a sinner. Job remains stubborn. 'I will not deny my integrity.' Good for you, Job! If you didn't do it, don't admit to it.

I realize that the guilty people aren't prone to admit their faults either, but that proves nothing here. If someone says they didn't do it, we should at least acknowledge the possibility that they are saying that because...they didn't do it!

I'm not a college football fan. I'm no fan of USC or Reggie Bush. I'm also not to keen on Job. Sometimes he strikes me as a whiner. But I know at least one judicial system that says that innocence is the default, not guilt.

Have you ever been accused of something you didn't do? Have you ever paid the penalty for something you didn't do?

My kids have been complaining lately about the recess time they have lost because others in the class are talking. But sometimes innocent people are wrongly accused and suffer the consequences. If only I could think of One Guy who did no wrong and yet paid the price for all.

He was innocent and He will not give back the prize for which He fought. That's a prize we can all keep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...