Skip to main content

Why Jesus?

Why Jesus?

It sounds like a very callous question, especially written by a pastor. But there it is and I’ll ask it again.

Why Jesus?

After all, we live in a world that offers us many choices, especially for those of us who live in the U.S. And since we have so many freedoms, I have to ask...why Jesus?

Why would someone choose to submit their lifestyle to a Jewish Rabbi from 2,000 years ago? Why would anyone decide that the teachings of Jesus make sense? This is the guy who said we should turn the other cheek if we are hit. This is the guy who said we should love those who hate and despise us. The same guy who said that less of me means more of Him also said my life should be lost. Why would anyone choose Jesus?

Jesus, the same guy who claimed to be God, an absurd thought for the people He came to serve. This is the guy whose own generation didn't seem to get Him, whose own people group didn't really like Him.

But what if referring to Jesus as 'some guy' is a dangerous attitude to take? Are you actually willing to truly investigate who Jesus really is? And if, upon further investigation, you find His words to be true, are you willing to submit your plans to His plan? Why would you be willing to do that? Why would anyone be willing to do that?

Unless everything Jesus said was true....

Why Jesus? Because He is who He said He is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...