Skip to main content

Colors of God...part 3 (of 3)

If you've fallen asleep to my previous 2 posts, you know that I read and reviewed Colors of God by Randall peters, Dave Phillips and Quentin Steen. It's subtitle is Conversations about Being the Church.

It is that topic which they spend the last 3 sections (out of 4) discussing. I appreciated that because while theology and philosophy can be intriguing, it will not make a difference what you say you believe unless it transfers to your daily life. I can talk machismo all I want about being able to stop an oncoming car, but you won't actually find me in the middle of street during rush hour.

Likewise, what we believe about God has implications in how we live out our faith. For instance, they talk a lot about authenticity being a highly valued commodity at their church, so confession is a daily part of church life. In another section they discuss how they feel the word 'sin' no longer does what we as Christians wish it did. This alone will have extreme fundamentalists racing to their favorite pew and hugging their hymnal while crouched in a fetal position. While I don't agree that 'sin' has lost its power as a word, I do like their style of searching for language that will connect us. As God surely knows, we already have too much disconnect.

This is where their chapters on frequently asked questions come in handy. While I would wish for there to be more questions answered, at least they have thought out what they believe.

So, let's get interactive. Do you consider how your faith affects your daily life? What is one area you see us as a Church missing this connection between what we say we believe and what we actually live out?

Comments

Jo said…
I think spirituality really comes into play when we stop thinking about how faith affects our lives and start thinking about how spirituality can become our lives. In the first instance, although we want to incorporate more faith into daily living, we still see it as something "other" and maybe in some instances, optional. But when we think about spirituality in conjunction with our lives, that the two should be one and the same, that things like loving God and loving our neighbors aren't optional things to try to do, but instead, that's the only way to really live.
Rick Nier said…
Jo, I agree. I think the 'other' you talk about, some people see as a tedious to-do list. Perhaps if we really experienced true change with Christ we would become more incarnational with our actions.

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...