Skip to main content

Six Ways to Keep the "Good" in Your Boy

My wife handed me this book, Six Ways to Keep the "Good" in Your Boy by Dannah Gresh. She read somewhere inside the pages that she should have her husband read it. And I think I remember reading somewhere, a long time ago, to know when to read things handed me by my wife.

It didn't take long for me to find the line where Dannah encouraged the handing over the book. I wasn't much farther along when I saw that most of this book was written from one mom to another, with Dad-snippets along the way.

No matter. Parenting should be a team sport and I want to raise a boy who becomes a godly young man, so I kept reading. I don't know about you, but I always wonder about the author when I read a book. What are they hiding? What's the real background to the ideas in the book? How much are they making per book? Could I make some extra cash by writing a book?

Especially when it comes to parenting books, I wonder if and when I'll come across something that exposes the parents as being unrealistic, thus leaving the rest of us normal people to find another solution.

I never found the crazy.

Dannah, and snippet-writing Bob, did a good job of staying practical with their ideas and realistic about results. They point to many outside resources, to back up research and to further a parent's arsenal of weapons. They also say, over and over again, how much prayer went into their successful mission of raising a good boy into a great man.

From when to start the awkward conversations to things to keep an eye on, Dannah takes moms (and Dads who read) on a ride form tween to adulthood. It's a ride worth taking, even if most of the book is written to moms.

One word of warning; don't let your son see you reading it. He tends to get a little nervous and will see future conversations as high risk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...