Skip to main content

What If I Don't Want God to Know Me? Part 3

If you're just getting to my blog this week, what have you been doing with your time? Working? I'll let it slide, but you can find part 1 and part 2 if you want to catch up. 
The long view goes something like this;
We want to be known. But does familiarity have its limits? Our knowledge of good and evil means, of course, that we have knowledge of evil. We’re very capable of anger, selfishness, lust. So, deep down, do we really want to be known for what we truly are, with our hidden flaws and our secret sins? Of course, the people who know our dark sides and flaws and STILL love us are the ones we’re most comfortable with.  While we come to know God a little bit at a  time—through His Spirit, His Word, circumstances—God has always fully known us,  and He still loves us. This is something we come to embrace more and more as we collect the scars from battling our knowledge of evil.   
In all honesty, you might simply be asking “…and God still likes me!?” And of course the answer is, yes, He does. Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73, opened the psalm wanting nothing to do with God. He ended the psalm wanting everything to do with God. In fact, after experiencing some distance from God, Asaph expressed that now, “it is good to be near God.” He’s glad to be known.     
Maybe you’ve experienced some distance from God lately and you’ve lost sight of how well God knows you and how much God loves you and how deeply He desires to be with you.
Perhaps you are in need of a time of confession this morning. Asaph does that.
21 Then I realized that my heart was bitter,
    and I was all torn up inside.
22 I was so foolish and ignorant—
    I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.
    and I was all torn up inside.22 I was so foolish and ignorant—    I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.
This is the spiritual equivalent of looking back at old photos of yourself. Have you ever done that? A fun thing to do is go back and look at old church picture directories. Because why just make fun of yourself when you can have a good laugh at all of us from 10, 20, 30 years ago.
At the time, we look in a mirror and we say to ourselves that what we see is good. But looking back, we often wonder what we were thinking. (Maybe collars were never supposed to be that big.) Looking back we realize. (Maybe hair was never supposed to be that big either.) 
This is what Asaph is realizing about himself. Some of us need to do the same. We need to understand the sin in our lives. We need to confess where we are weak. Like the old family reunion photo, we need to admit we were deluded. Unlike the old photos, it’s no laughing matter.
Embracing the God’s-eye view of ourselves can be scary, if we only embrace half of the truth. It’s like accepting Jesus as your Savior but refusing to serve Him as your Lord. It’s thanking Jesus for the blessings but rejecting the responsibilities that go with such a gift.
How did Asaph continue after his confession? 
25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
    I desire you more than anything on earth.
    I desire you more than anything on earth.
Who else do I have? Accept God is our only alternative (Psalm 73:25). This is why we accept the gift of God with humility and a joyful heart. Look around! If there is a better option out there, I’d love to hear about it. But understand this – this gift of God is more than just the better option. It’s the only option that offers life. Someone in this very church mentioned to me that they liked to have a plan B. I think many of us are like that. But there is no plan B when it comes to finding someone to place our ultimate trust and hope in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d