Skip to main content

Looking For What I Already Have

I'm an idiot. I think you know that already, but here's the latest proof.

I'm at the office where my wife and I work. I had just picked up (not literally) my 3-year old from her pre-school class. I then picked her up (literally) and walked down to my wife's office where she and my 6-year old son were. Seeing that they were ready to go home for lunch, we all began walking out towards our vehicle.

Since we both work at a church, we rarely leave without someone stopping to ask one of us a question. (I know, we're so important.) This day was no exception. The question was for my wife, which meant it was my task to keep the kids focused and acting as normal as possible. As she finished, I thought I saw my 3-year old walk into one of the rooms. I followed her in and called her name. She wasn't in there, so I turned to ask my wife where our daughter went. She gave me a look that asked if I was a retard. The answer, of course, is a resounding yes. The daughter in question was still in my arms, now smiling at her dad, wondering how soon it might be before she was taking care of me.

I could say that I had some worthy excuse, but let's face it...it's really difficult to overlook something in your arms. I'm certain I'm not alone in this. I've seen people looking for their keys that were in their hand, sunglasses that were on their head, or a wallet that was in their pocket. Granted, these are not living things, but still.

We, as Christians, often do this as well. We have Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2), an indescribable gift (2 Corinthians 9:15), and giver of every perfect gift (James 1:17), yet we look for happiness somewhere else.

When we forget to spend time with our Friend and then wonder why we feel alone, we are looking for something we already have. When we allow anxiety and bitterness to rule our lives and then ask for peace, we are looking for something we already have. When we choose to make our own decisions and go our own way, and then wonder why we don't have more wisdom, we are looking for something we already have.

When we live like this, we make two critical errors, and possibly more. For starters, we overlook the Giver and all He has done for us. If we spend our time looking for things we already have, we cannot possibly be thanking Him at the same time. Secondly, we waste a lot of time.

The cries to live victoriously can already be heard. As Paul said, "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" (Philippians 1:3-6).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d