Skip to main content

Rick Nier: A Real Nimrod

If you were having trouble sleeping, you might try reading 1 Chronicles. It's a list of names, although these names tell a story of Israel's history. Towards the beginning the name Nimrod is listed. What do you think of when you hear the name Nimrod? I don't think of anyone flattering. The informal dictionary definition is that of a silly person; a simpleton. But that's not the only definition.

When the writer of Chronicles is listing out the names, he spends most of his ink just listing who was born. But when he comes to Nimrod he pauses. He adds a description. "The first great hero on earth." The NIV tells us that Nimrod was a great warrior. Even the dictionary offers that nimrod can refer to one skilled in hunting.

Isn't it funny how names can change over the years? I can remember when I was younger and people would hear my name, they would roll their eyes. You know, on second thought, perhaps my name isn't the best example. But I bet we could all name actors or athletes who at one time were idolized. Then, after a fall from grace, their name becomes synonymous with something less than heroic.

How do you feel about your name? Does it strike fear in the hearts of your enemies? Does it make the opposite sex swoon? Does it make people laugh? No matter, because God has a new name for you. Even before we all get to Heaven, and despite what others think, God has called you child, His child.

No Nimrod would turn down that name.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How do you feel about your name?
Whe I was named (70 years ago) my name had connotations of happiness and joyfulness. That was true for many years, as I grew up. Towards the end of my teens the connotations began to change.
While I don't recall ever being concerned or excessively teased about the changes, they are something I cannot avoid. My husbands have not believed the alternatives (two have left this world, the third thanks God for bringing us together.)
I prefer to live life as God, and, I believe, my parents desired, serving Him with joy and hapiness.
Gay

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...