Skip to main content

God, the Snuggie, & the Bedazzler

As I'm reading through the less interesting parts of Exodus, I notice repetition. Back in chapter 28, God was giving Moses all the details about how to build the Tabernacle. He also appeared to have invented the Snuggie and the Bedazzler when describing how the priests were to be dressed. (If you're unaware of the technological breakthrough known as the Bedazzler, google it...you're missing out on some fine bling.)

If it wasn't enough to read God's description of just how long each curtain should be and how to overlay everything in gold, we get to read it again when the Israelites actually get around to doing it. They collect items and sew and build the Tabernacle and they bedazzle the priests. We read it word for word...twice. And I ask myself why we have to read it twice.

Then it hit me.

This story is about God. It would be easy to forget that and assume this story is about Moses and the Israelites wandering in the desert. In fact, it would even be easier for us, with the benefit of hindsight to ask why they would go to this much trouble when they're just going to build a temple. But consider this; that temple is not being built until Solomon reigns as king. They don't even know yet that they will ask for a king.

This Tabernacle has to last through the desert wanderings, the days of Joshua and the conquest, the period of the Judges, and Kings Saul and David. That's a lot of years. And during those many years, God deserved their worship. During those years, the Israelites needed to give their worship.

It's a lot of detail for us to read, but I believe it speaks to the importance of our worship to God. We will one day worship God in Heaven, but until then we should give great detail to how we worship Him now.

Comments

Jo said…
Now there's an idea- bedazzled snuggies :) Great post about the centrality of God and the importance of worship!
Anonymous said…
Nice observations, Rick. It's been a while since I've trudged through Exodus, but that book is just as full of wisdom as any other. I'm always amazed at what I pick up when I do go to the effort of reading my less favorite Bible books. Thanks for sharing.
Rick Nier said…
Thanks guys. Actually, it felt like trudging until this hit me. Even so, I'm not sure how quickly I'll return to this book.

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d