Skip to main content

I Think He May Be Serious

It's really too bad that the word epic has been overused and likely lost some of its power. It's also a shame that when I tell you Numbers 16 is epic, most of you will roll your eyes and choose not to believe. But this would make for some really cool scenes in a movie. Here it is;

Moses is being opposed by his followers and this time it's not about food and water. This time it's old-fashioned jealousy. The main guys opposing Moses are Korah, Dathan and Abiram. The Levites can't stand that Moses is so holy. Moses can't stand their whining, so like every smart child, they take it to the parent, in this case, God.

So God sets up a showdown. Everyone lights a censer, though they won't be needed, and are told to appear at the entrance of the Tent. God shows up and tells everyone to step away from Korah, Dathan and Abiram. It's at this point that one has to assume it's either because they are super-holy and no one should stand near them. Or it's because they are about to be smited by the Mighty Smiter. God smiting people always makes for great blogging.

Unfortunately for the threesome, it's the latter. Moses starts talking about how the unnatural death they will die shows that God has sent Moses. Before he finishes, God opens the ground beneath them and swallows the Terrible Three whole. Well, that indeed is unnatural.

What happens next is bizarre. The rest of the Israelite people blame Moses for killing God's people. Right, because Moses made the ground split apart. So God tells Moses and Aaron to step back from the people so He can do some more smiting. Thinking quick, Moses tells Aaron to take fire from the altar and hurry to where the people are so he can make atonement for their latest of sins.

We're told that Aaron runs into the midst of the assembly and stands between the living and the dead, in effect stopping the plague from killing anymore Israelites. The picture is breath-taking, Aaron with chest pounding, creating a one-man line between the living and the dead. It would be an amazing movie sequence.

All that aside, I think God may take His holiness and the calling of His people seriously. And I think that most of us would have no problem seeing God this way. We may not totally understand it. We may prefer to see and discuss a God of love. But we are quick to acknowledge it.

Yet how quick are we to acknowledge that God is Love? Despite the gross misinterpretations of what Jesus did, most will admit to seeing a different picture of God in the New Testament than we did in the Old Testament. If the Old Testament shows God's justice, then the New Testament shows God's grace and mercy.

If the last two paragraphs are true (albeit very, very basic) then why don't we take God's love as serious as His justice? We're so quick to assume that tornadoes and hurricanes are the judgment of God. There is no shortage of articles talking about America's impending doom because we're not treating Israel as we should. (They may be right, what do I know?)

But when good things happen, no one asks why they happen to bad people. We know how to live in fear. What we don't know is how to live in God's promises. God has told us He loves us and wants to give us good things. Maybe we should take Him seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d