Skip to main content

Finishing Strong

My senior pastor just retired. Two days ago. It sounds like a good idea, but my wife shot the idea down pretty quickly. Something about not wanting me around the house that much. Or maybe it was something about saving money for our children’s college fund. So it looks like I’ll remain among the working for a bit longer.

But all of this did get me thinking about transitions and how a person ends what they began. It is the hope that will finish strong, because, just as in a basketball game, people always remember the last shot.

This doesn’t just apply to people who are retiring. Everything from how you end a career to how you finish your day should be included. Are you ending a school year? An extensive work project? Your high school or college career? Maybe you’re finishing a letter or email to a friend and need to decide how to sign off.

There are Biblical examples that prove my point. Consider King David. Before he was king he was a national hero who killed Goliath and routed the Philistines everywhere he went. Even after assuming the throne he was known as ‘a man after God’s own heart.’ But later in his reign he became an adulterer and a murder. This caused all sorts of grief for his family and his kingdom. God remained true when David repented, but his life ended on somewhat of a low note.

How about the Apostle Peter? This fisherman who acted and spoke before he thought often found himself to be the center of a lesson time with Jesus. He even ended up denying Jesus. But that is not the end of Peter. Read the book of Acts and you find a powerful preacher and healer. Though arrested and beaten several times, Peter had to be crucified in order to be shut up. That may not sound like ending well, but trust me, it is.

We’re told in a couple of places by John in Revelation that finishing strong requires endurance (Revelation 13:10; 14:12). Paul tells Timothy that “if we endure, we will also reign with [Jesus]” (2 Timothy 2:12a).

So are you about to finish something? This is more than just reading an entire book or finishing the crossword puzzle you started. I’m not sure it’s a sin to leave a home project incomplete, but I’m willing to bet that someone is counting on you to get it done.

I know this for sure. God wants you to finish what you started. If you have been called with a purpose then it is imperative that the purpose be accomplished. As Paul encouraged the Corinthians with a project they had started, so now I encourage you;
“Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means” (2 Corinthians 8:11).

Then you’ll be able to join Paul in saying, as he did in his final letter; “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:7-8).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d