Skip to main content

God Spreads Rumors Too

I have had a love-hate relationship with the idiom 'perception is reality.' On the one hand, I get it. If people perceive something to be true, then their actions will be based on that perceived truth. We see this in every area of life. For instance, a young child who sees a slide as tall and scary will have to find courage to go on the slide. An adult will see the slide and think it not scary at all.

On the other hand, our perceptions can not always be trusted. I'd rather say that 'reality is reality'. As with the previous example, a child and an adult may perceive the slide in different ways, but that won't change the fact that the slide is a particular height. The slide does not change heights. Reality is reality.

This idea of perception and reality is why rumors can be so devastating. Truth is to be valued above all perception. We see this in the Bible as well.

Back in the book of Deuteronomy God is preparing His people to enter the Promised Land. We read that God would spread rumors about the Israelites that would have everyone else terrified.
"This very day I will begin to put the terror and fear of you on all the nations under heaven. They will hear reports of you and will tremble and be in anguish because of you.” Deuteronomy 2:25
This was both perception and reality. All the other nations had good reason to tremble.

We have rumors spread about us today as well. We're told that all Christians are hypocrites. We're unkind. We lack love. Even as Christians, we cringe every time some whack job makes us all look bad. Whether it's holding a sign or talking without speaking, we have all seen Christians act in ways that make our non-Christian friends turn to us and ask us if we're all like that.

That's how rumors get spread. They have an ounce of truth in them. These perceptions, true or not, become the reality for how people see Christians.

The people living in the Promised Land had good reason to fear the Israelites. People today have good reason to be afraid of what the next Christian might do. No, we won't have a hostile takeover of their homes, but as a group we have been far better at taking over the role of judgment and disdain for people that don't see things the way we see them.

We need to be people that help cause a different kind of rumor to be spread. The Apostle Paul was doling out lessons to a young teacher named Titus when he gave this instruction;
Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. Titus 2:6-8
Wouldn't that be something if nothing bad could be said about us? Let's give that a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...