Skip to main content

Enemies of the Heart

Enemies of the Heart is the newest title from pastor and author Andy Stanley, although this is the first I have read. Sorry, Andy. But if this book is any indication of the punch that Andy delivers, it won't be the last.

The subtitle is Breaking Free from the Four Emotions That Control You. Andy cuts right to the point in this book, expressing what I feel are some deep ideas in a way that everyone can relate to. That doesn't mean he dumbs it down. He tells it like it is.

Stanley's theory is that we have tried forever to fix ourselves by fixing our behavior. As you may have noticed, in yourself and others, it's not working out so well. The problem with behavior modification is that this is not the core of our problem. The problem is our heart, where everything stems.

This can be a bit hard to swallow, as all of us want to assume we're actually good people. But again, experience begs to differ. So does the Bible. The Bible clearly teaches that we are a people with a bent on doing evil. It's called the sinful nature. The Bible says we are all stuck with this disease and that Christ is the only cure.

Stanley further shows how Jesus points out that these problems stem from the heart. After making that truth crystal clear, he spends the rest of the book talking us through spiritual exercises that will address the heart issue and make the heart stronger. It's all very practical, though not always easy. But who said exercise should be easy?

I received the e-book version of this book from my good friends at Waterbrook Multnomah. They didn't tell me I had to say anything nice, just say something. They're pretty cool like that. You can purchase the book here. I would highly recommend that you do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d