Skip to main content

Because of That Cross

If the world ever had any interest in me, I am quite sure it is gone by now. And I have good news for the world. The feeling is mutual.

If this introduction is starting to sound a bit drastic or over-emotional, don't fret. This is just my New Year's self reaffirming what I value, what I care for and which hills I will decide to make a stand on. You might be familiar with the hill I will focus on. It's that hill far away where there stood an old rugged cross.

As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world’s interest in me has also died. ~Galatians 6:14
If reading that verse doesn't make you pause for an argument with yourself, perhaps you need to read it again. That, or wake up to the hypocrisy within yourself. I have to believe that somewhere before putting those words to papyrus, Paul had to have had an inner dialogue. Upon reading that verse most recently, mine sounded a bit like this.


Me: Yep, no boasting about myself. That sounds good.
     My inner self: Whoa, whoa whoa. What are you doing?
Me: I'm applying God's Word.
     My inner self: I thought we said we were going to discuss this kind of stuff before you went and                                 did that again?!?
Me: I say it's about Jesus. Not boasting about myself seems like a pretty good way to go about   making it about Jesus.
     My inner self: Is that why you continue to tell your wife whenever you rock at basketball?
Me: Well, she probably won't hear about it on ESPN.
     My inner self: No, she won't. But who cares? Basketball is not even your job.
Me: Yes, but unfortunately for my church, I don't do anything better than I play basketball.
     My inner self: I've seen you play. You're not that good.
Me: Good point. Then I guess I don't have anything to boast about.

In case you didn't notice, my inner self can be pretty mean. But somewhere down inside of my heart, sometimes deep down, I know the truth. Behind all my life goals and my career objectives and even my selfish desires and day-to-day wants, it's all for naught.

Because of that cross.

Let's be honest. My decision to follow Jesus meant I would do a lot of things that seemed backwards to the world. It was only a matter of time before I realized my insignificance in the world, but following Jesus sped up that process. And because I give every decision over to the will of God, I see the emptiness in what the world has to offer.

So if my life goals don't match up with what God has willed for me, then guess which desire has to go. Though it may be difficult to give up certain dreams, knowing the right answer isn't hard.

Paul may have been fairly certain of his words when he wrote them down. Maybe this was something he had preached over and over again. Maybe the Galatians would recognize this line and smile, as if hearing it in Paul's voice.

But for me, this is a prayer. As for me, God, may I never boast about anything except what you have done through Jesus on that cross. Kill my selfish desires so they don't come back.

Take that, world.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d