Skip to main content

What do you know?

Have you ever paused to think about what we know to be true? If you are the type of person who is quick to judge, as I am prone, then you know that sometimes we only think we know what’s true. Oftentimes we have only to wait a little bit to be given more information.

Something like this is happening in Luke 8. Jesus appears to be going non-stop from town to town healing people. In fact, for the people who lived this story out, that may have been the only detail they actually knew for sure. 

In fact, He is on His way to the home of a dying girl, at the father’s request, when a woman intentionally touches Him and is healed. I say intentionally because it causes a scene. 

If you can imagine the kind of roving mosh pit that was the crowd clamoring to be close to Jesus, then you realize many people would have been touching him. Because, you know, some people are close walkers. 

They trip over your feet and accidentally bump you because of their proximity. Some people do it on purpose. Others are simply oblivious. But this woman intentionally touched Jesus, looking to be healed from her bleeding. 

And it worked. But Jesus knew something happened. He knew healing power had left Him. He knew this touch was different than the others. In fact, because of her faith, this woman knew the same thing. 

I’m focused on what Jesus knew because it’s about to come up again. 

This crowd had been traveling to the home of a sick girl. But before they get there, servants come and tell the man his daughter is dead. They knew it. They had watched it. 

But this doesn’t deter Jesus. Let me say it clearer. 

Death doesn’t deter Jesus. 

They get to the home where people are wailing. And I get it. We would all agree. Twelve year olds shouldn’t die. It’s too soon. 

But the crying turns to laughing when Jesus tells them the girl isn’t dead. She’s sleeping. 

The crowd laughed because they knew she had died. They knew it. Jesus wasn’t there. He hadn’t seen what they saw. The girl died. And we all know death is final. That’s what we know.

Now, I know what everybody is thinking about. Naturally you’re thinking about that scene in Men in Black where Agent K, played by Tommy Lee Jones, had this conversation with Agent J, played by Will Smith. I know, it’s crazy how alike we think!

People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Give hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone On this planet. Imagine what you’ll know tomorrow.

It’s amazing how seeing something new will change what we think we know. We only talk about certainty. Death and taxes, right? We know what death looks like. We know it’s final. 

But what do we really know? Because Jesus laughed right back by looking at the girl and commanding her to get up. And she did. 

Well, what do you know?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d