Skip to main content

The Greatest Thing Before Sliced Bread



Everybody, I think I’ve made a discovery. I think I’ve discovered the greatest thing before sliced bread. Everyone always talks about this invention or that creation being the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

To be honest, I’m not sure how sliced bread became the standard by how we’re amazed. What should be more amazing is that it took humanity so long to figure it out. It was 1928 when Otto Rohwedder invented the first single loaf bread-slicing machine.1 But it’s not like he cured cancer. He sliced bread. 

I digress. You’re here for the discovery of the greatest thing before sliced bread. I actually found it in the Bible, in the book of 1 Kings to be precise. The splendor of the King Solomon is being described in great detail. It includes the building of the Temple of the Lord. It details the building of his own palace, plus several other buildings he designed. 

We’re told of the riches that are brought into Israel every month and every year. King Solomon was the popular guy that everybody just gave stuff to. He made Israel powerful. They were the world power and everybody else knew it. Word spread to the Queen of Sheba and she came just to check it out. She even said the gossip didn’t represent half of the amazing stuff happening. 

Solomon’s wisdom was world class and the riches were second-to-none. 1 Kings 10 describes how silver was as common as stone. Solomon had stuff made of gold and plated in gold. Everything sparkled more than an episode of My Little Ponies. Yeah, it was glamorous. And who am to question Solomon’s thinking, but he had a fleet of ships bringing him more gold, silver, ivory, peacocks, and apes. Apes?2

My point is that the author here s not short in describing how amazing Israel was at this time. So I don’t believe he was willing to waste words or throw in meaningless details. If the description was included, it was because it was incredible. So what was the greatest thing before sliced bread? Check this out.

Then the king made a great throne covered with ivory and overlaid with fine gold. The throne had six steps, and its back had a rounded top. On both sides of the seat were armrests, with a lion standing beside each of them. Twelve lions stood on the six steps, one at either end of each step. Nothing like it had ever been made for any other kingdom. ~1 Kings 10:18-20

Did you see it? It’s arm rests! On both sides of the seat! Verse 20 seals it when it says “nothing like it had ever been made.” It took the wisest man who ever lived to realize just how comfortable we could be if we had arm rests on both sides of our chair. After all, don't you hate it when you're ruling your subjects and you have no place to put your arms?

So when you’re sitting in your Lazy-Boy, or even your desk chair with double arm rests, you can thank God for blessing Solomon with so much wisdom that he thought of everything. Double arm rests!

Oh, and in case you’re looking for something a little bit more spiritual from me today, here it is.   1 Kings 10:1 tells us that Solomon’s fame brought honor to the Name of the Lord. I don’t know what you’re asking for today, but the end goal should be bringing honor to God. 



1 Don’t pretend not to be impressed. Sure, I looked it up on Google, but that was more effort than you were going to put forth.
2 I’m picturing Planet of the Apes,, but where everyone gets along.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How do you know how much effort I was going to put forth? All you bloggers...some day I'll try it, Mr. Solomon.
Rick Nier said…
Honestly, you may have, considering you took the time to post a comment. You and I can just acknowledge that line was for the other 90% of my readers.

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d