Skip to main content

When What We Want Isn’t What We Really Want

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. A person asks for something and then immediately complains when they get it. It’s not exactly what we meant or precisely what we thought it would look like. 

We won’t necessarily return it, but we’re not going to celebrate it. It’s a common party trick and it doesn’t just happen with toddlers. 

It’s Going To Look Like I’m Changing The Subject

I was included recently in a discussion about worship music. The conversation was on social media, because that’s where most people are level-headed and reasonable. 

The author of the article was waxing eloquent about which worship music songs could be sung in church with a clean conscience. Whereas I would normally assume songs are selected by how repeatable the bridge is, this author was breaking down the worthiness of songs based on who had authored them.

Sure, he was paying attention to lyrics, but if he believed lyrics could be taken one of two ways, and one of those ways could even be misconstrued as heretical, then he assumed heresy. Why would anyone do that, you ask? Based on the church they were a part of, of course. 

Listen, I understand words matter. I believe doctrine is important. And history can be an indicator of future actions. But not always. 

Did You Hear About This Kanye Fellow?

This past week, there has been some sporadic coverage over a mildly popular artist professing faith in Jesus. Maybe you’ve heard about Kanye and even listened to his new album titled Jesus is King


Unlike the many who have already debated whether or not another person could have claimed allegiance to an invisible God using their unseen faith, I will question what it is in the rest of us that is suddenly equipped to judge these matters accurately. 

It’s interesting because, as a Church, our top priority is evangelism. We spend lots of time asking God to give us a harvest. We say it’s what we desire, to see people come to know Jesus. 

But when someone does come to claim Jesus as Lord and Savior, we spend more time debating if it was real than we do praising God that someone who was wayward has experienced salvation. 

Redemption Is Still A Thing, Right?

People do change. Their actions, their beliefs. We all know this to be true, especially when we consider that we would not want to be held accountable forever for that one thing we believed, or said, or did, back when we were clearly not as intelligent as we are now. 

If we’re going to allow for ourselves to grow, understanding we can sometimes be right, even while we are sometimes wrong, it would be decent of us to offer others the same courtesy. I think this applies to Christians writing worship music.

Even if that Christian happens to be Kanye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d