Skip to main content

Rights

The leadership had discussed, deliberated and decided. There had certainly been debate. People felt strongly on both sides. 

‘If we allow this to happen, everything we stand for will mean nothing.’ Honestly, both sides were saying it and both felt it was a matter of salvation. ‘Agree with me or I don’t know how you could possibly be a Christian.’

After all, all the facts support my view. If you choose to believe otherwise, it is only because of  your preconceived or ill-conceived view of matters. I cannot possibly be judged for considering you to be less intelligent, less caring, or less than Christ-like if you oppose my view. 

That’s what everyone, on both sides of the argument, was saying.

The issue at hand was, of course, circumcision. I’m sorry, did you assume I was talking about something else? 

The Council in Jerusalem had just met. It’s recorded in Acts 15 if you’d like to review it. Everyone who was anyone was there and they made certain their voice was heard. Should Gentiles who had become Christ-followers be forced to circumcise their men-folk? In the end, they decided there was no need to enforce this.

When We Do What We Don’t Have To Do

The decision in Acts 15 is what makes what happens in Acts 16 so very interesting. 

Paul was one of the disciples sent out to deliver the news to churches in other cities. Good news, everybody! You don’t have to be circumcised in order to be a Christian. 

But who would go along with him to help deliver this good news and help encourage believers and evangelize the lost? Paul chose a guy named Tim. And do you know how he helped prepare Tim for the journey?

With a conversation I would like to reimagine
Paul: Hey, Tim. Would you like to go with me on a trip to share the gospel?
Tim: sure thing. What’s with the knife in your hand?

He circumcised Tim. 

Listen, I don’t know if he did the job himself. Were there do-it-yourself circumcision kits? Maybe. Does it help you to know Paul was a tentmaker by trade and was likely skilled with a needle and thread? 

It’s really not important, because the point is that he circumcised his teammate in order to take him on a journey to churches to inform them that circumcision was not needed for salvation. 

Why Does It Matter?

Have you ever seen the impact of certain rules or freedoms? Have you ever been surprised to see that not everyone agreed, or even cared, about what you thought was the right thing to do?

The fact is that the Jerusalem Council had declared circumcision to be unnecessary for salvation. But culturally, there would be many Jews in the cities where Paul was traveling who didn’t see things that way. So Tim was circumcised. 

It’s almost as if Paul understood the salvation of those they were going to see was more important than Tim’s right to remain uncircumcised. Indeed, we have a lot to learn as a twenty-first century church when it comes to giving up our rights for the sake of the gospel. 

Here’s what I don’t know. How did the people know if Tim was circumcised or not? Did they accept his word for it, or not? It’s hard to imagine this being a pics-or-it-didn’t-happen kind of experience, but what do I know?

Here’s what I do know. The result was fantastic. “The churches became stronger in their faith, and each day more people put their faith in the Lord.” ~Acts 16:5

When The Unnecessary Is Still Needed

It seems pretty straightforward. Circumcision was no longer necessary for salvation. And yet, the giving up of those rights led to many more receiving salvation. 

The implications for our society should be painfully obvious. Are people going to necessarily receive salvation from Jesus because I wear a mask? 

No. But they are definitely not going to be open to hearing about God’s love for them from someone who is shouting about their personal rights. 

Does anyone recall when Jesus was on the cross, shouting out about His rights, His scientific superiority, and His unmatchable logic? 

Neither do I.

Jesus gave up his rights. For His own sake, it was unnecessary. But for our sake, it was very much needed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d