Skip to main content

By We I Mean You

Have you ever noticed how people will say one thing and mean another? I don't mean when people lie, but when they try to hint in subtle ways. Here are some that I've discovered along the way.

When they say...What are you doing this Saturday?      
What they mean is...Would you like to help me move?

When they say...Do you have a minute?
What they mean is...Because I'd like to bare my soul to you for the next 45  minutes.

When they say...Can you help me for a second?
What they mean is...I need you to show me how to use the copying machine, then write down step-by-step instructions and then watch me do it.

When they say...Oh, are you closing in 5 minutes?
What they mean is....I'm sure you won't mind me as I take the next 20 minutes of your life away.

And I'm sure I have been guilty along the way. Here's one I use on our awesome church secretary (I'm sure she'll read this). Can we get this mailing out today? Or can we possibly get this event organized in the next week?

She's come to learn that by 'we' I mean 'her'.

But by 'we' I mean 'you' and sometimes by 'we' I mean 'me'. It really just depends on the context.

If it's something I don't want to do, I mean you. If it's something good, and I want credit, then I mean me.

Yeah, I struggle not making this all about me. Hello? That's why I'm searching. If I had this mastered, I'd already have a book written and it would probably have my picture on the cover. Then I'd rename my blog to say this is how I found insignificance.

But I haven't written a book....yet. And I didn't rename the blog.

This is my search for insignificance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...