Skip to main content

Taco Bell and Life Lessons


At a hotel my family was eating breakfast down in the lobby when a news story came on about a guy who drove into a Taco Bell because they left a taco out of his order. You read that correctly! They left a single taco out of his combo meal. So he assumed the correct course of action to remedy this was to take his truck and drive through the restaurant.

Because it would not be easier to simply go back up and ask for the missing taco. No, in order to help Taco Bell patrons everywhere and for all time, the appropriate response is to drive your vehicle through their restaurant.

Upon hearing this, my kids start laughing at the absurdity of it all. And as a father, I instantly think...teachable moment!

After talking with my kids for a few moments about anger and how we respond; my son thinks for a moment and then asks..."Did the guy get his taco?"

It is all about food for my boy.

I thought we were having a good life lesson on anger management. I even filled the moment with real life applications as we talked about how they will fight with each other over insignificant matters. But in the end, my son wanted to know if the guy achieved his goal and received a taco.

Well, no my son, he received a one-way ticket to court for vandalism and for being a moron. In fact, nobody is getting a taco from that restaurant for a while. Thanks for ruining it for everyone.

So, when you think you're doing a great job as a father, keep in mind that the questions you receive may not always be the ones you hope for.

Have a happy Father's Day this weekend. What's your most absurd fathering moment?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...