Skip to main content

Teen Drivers and Holding On

Young driver
I compared the teens I work with to bad drivers. Which is to say, I compared them to each other. Yeah, I was the only one really laughing when I did that, although a few fingers started pointing at each other. The truth is, my kids remain safe, thanks in large part to my keeping them off the streets and sidewalks and out of parking lots where teens are practicing their...ahem...skills.

But why would I discuss teen driving skills. Because the Bible verse we were looking at mentioned swerving. More to the point...

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
~Hebrews 10:23

So holding on to our faith should be nothing like how they drive. We shouldn't swerve, but this isn't because of how awesome we are. It's because God who promised knows how to drive, steer and any other metaphor you can think of for cars. The author of Hebrews tells us God is faithful. 

How do we do this? I could tell you stories involving Greek culture and small mirrors, but that would be Robert Fulgham's story from It Was On Fire When I Lay On It. Google it, it's a good story. 

My story could include driving into the back of big trucks, seeing my dad weep over his previously undamaged minivan. It could include doing 360's in a church van in the middle of a blizzard (not on purpose, of course). But those stories might not go over so well with the little gecko and those people who insure my driving. 

Needless to say, there have been moments when more focus might have been beneficial. Lack of focus leads to swerving, on the road and in the paths of life. That could almost be in a commencement address. The bottom line is we have great reason to hope. His name is Jesus. We have many things which can distract. Those things are called life. 

But we have a calling to hold on. Without swerving. Don't worry about your skills. God is faithful. 

Do you have any good stories of horrific driving?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d