Skip to main content

Going to Jail for Good

So the phone call came and I said yes. I'm going to jail to help support the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Actually, I'm attempting to raise $1600 bail money to support the MDA. That's where you come in. You can click here and help this cause. So far I only have $50, so any support you add would be greatly appreciated.

I remember watching Jerry Lewis every year as a kid, raising money for MDA. the need has not gone away, but we can continue to help. I have included a letter I received about one type of muscular dystrophy. Check it out and please donate.

Rick Nier Woo!

Letter of Hope from Casey Van Houten, mother of Blake Van Houten, 2010 Northeast Indiana Goodwill Ambassador
Dear Jailbird,
December 21, 2000 was one of the greatest days of our lives. We welcomed a beautiful baby boy into the world and named him Blake Thomas Van Houten. He sat up, crawled and walked when he should have; he was a perfectly healthy boy. It wasn't until school that the teachers started to notice his physical ability declining. He was not keeping up with the other children and they suggested we take him to be evaluated. We made the appointment and the day after the doctor called requesting us for a meeting. At the meeting he told us Blake has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. The doctor also informed us that our younger son Cole, who was three at the time, has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy too.
Duchenne is one of nine types of muscular dystrophy, a group of genetic, degenerative diseases primarily affecting voluntary muscles. Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy weakens the muscles and can have the child in a wheelchair by the age of twelve. It is passed from a mother to her son. We didn 't know we were carriers until it was too late. When we heard the diagnosis we were devastated that something was wrong with our child. The worst part about Duchenne is that there is no cure...yet. This is the hardest part as a parent, since you know you can't do anything to make it better for your child.
The doctors told us about the local MDA and their efforts to help find treatments and cures for Duchenne. Once we registered with the local MDA office, and started going to the free MDA clinic we were grateful for the help and support. We hadn't realized how many sponsors, firefighters, and community people volunteer their time to help support the MDA and ultimately our family. It's because of you going out of your way to help make a difference in the lives of all children with neuromuscular disease.
One of the greatest parts about MDA is the annual week long Summer Camp at Camp Potawotami in South Milford. Blake thinks camp is the greatest thing on earth. The week is focused on fun for my Blake and others just like him. The campers get to just be kids and forget about their worries of having a debilitating disease. Blake may have this disease but it does not have him. He is as active as he can be and he loves to play with his friends. He is social, loves to talk and he tries as hard as he can to be "normal". We thank you for helping MDA as they support us through this difficult journey.
Your help is our hope.
Casey and Brian Van Houten
p.s.: Research Update for Duchenne MD - Thirty-two boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, who have specific genetic mutations that may be helped by a new approach called "exon skipping" will enter a promising new study. The boys will participate in the study at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus Ohio, with plans to begin in March of 2010. Applicants will undergo genetic testing to determine if they are eligible for the trial. The trial is under the direction of neurologist Jerry Mendell, MD, longtime MDA research grantee and director of the MDA clinic at Nationwide.
For additional information and promising research developments about Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy go to www. mda. org.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d