Skip to main content

Flipped

Have you ever felt like something just wasn’t right? You’re not sure what, but something felt...wrong. Perhaps it was the way a friend treated you. Maybe it was an exchange between people that you couldn’t believe was happening. Or it could be the Mexican food you just ate. Whatever it was, something was backwards about the whole thing.

Flipped.

Sometimes we come across a book or a teacher that just blows our mind away. KABOOM! Call it a case of perfect timing, but you were ready and open for new information. And when they delivered, your life was changed.

Flipped.

In a very real sense, that is why Jess came. Jesus was all about making things that weren’t as if they were. Take blind people for example. Jesus helped them to see. The deaf could hear. Those who were dead were brought to life. Check it out in Matthew 11. Jesus tells people exactly what He’s doing.

But Jesus didn’t stop there. He came to deal with our hearts as well.
I think this is a large part of why many people had a problem with Jesus. He challenged the status quo. He shove din on our comfort zones.

Flipped.

Jesus said it didn’t matter if people hated us. We should love in return. He said it didn’t matter if life was unloading on us. Live with joy. And Jesus railed against our self-obsession over and over. We may not understand the math, but less of us is more. And when we choose to lose ourselves, that is when our true life is found.

Flipped.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...