Skip to main content

Look What I Found!

As people gathered for worship they noticed that the pastor had a very different look on his face. He seemed more excited than usual. Perhaps more excited than he had been for several years. The mystery of his excitement was contagious and would not be contained for long.

After everyone was together and ready to begin, the pastor made this announcement, 'I was cleaning through the church yesterday, perusing old files and organizing stacks of books. That's when I found it, underneath layers of dust. It's the Bible!'

I don't know about you, but if this story were true and I were sitting in that group, a few questions would pop into my head. When did you lose the Bible? How have you been teaching us for however long it's been lost? And none the least of the questions would be how you lose THE BOOK that is supposedly most sacred, most important and most needed in our lives?

Hard as it may be to believe, this is exactly what happened in 2 Kings 22:8. It seems as King Josiah was interested in seeing the Temple repaired, so he sends word to the priest to tidy up and collect the money together to pay the workers. So Hilkiah the High Priest does this and what do you know? 'Do you recall those words that God spoke and Moses recorded?' 'Yes.' 'Well, we found them. It was weird. Somehow they got hidden behind the Asherah poles and the altar to Baal. It's always the last place you look.'

How dirty is your temple when you lose the sacred books?

My kids often find toys they forgot they had.
My wife has even been known to find a child under a layer of dirt around bath time.
I have been surprised to discover lost treasures in mountains of notes and books.

But imagine the pastor at your church getting up one Sunday and telling you a marvelous story of how he found his Bible, after years of not knowing where it had been. It seems to me that this happens in a hundred different ways in our lives each and every day. Great and necessary habits are cast aside because of many distractions. Prayer time is squeezed out because of phone calls. Taking the time to encourage a person is left undone because of a favorite TV show. And sadly, the reading of God's word does not happen due to forgetfulness or busy schedules.

Who knows how long Temple life had gone on before anyone even noticed that God's Word was missing? And how long do we go in our lives, dependent on our own wisdom, such as it is? It seems to me that we lose more than we realize when we lose time with God. Perhaps it is time for a little cleaning up in your life. If so, I have great news. In the Bible are words of life and hope and salvation. I have found them. You can too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d