Skip to main content

Be the Hero

"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."
James 4:17
I don't know about you, but for me, that sounds like a call to action. This is so much more than your parents asking you to make your bed or your boss asking you to take out the trash.

This is an opportunity to open our eyes to a world of need that exists beyond our finely crafted bubbles. Have you ever been in a dark room when someone suddenly turns on a light? That may be the uncomfortable feeling you get here when you see what has been hiding in the dark. You may find yourself rubbing your eyes and needing to take a second look at what you see. But once you have seen, will what you see impact your heart?

Compassion takes courage. Courage to do the right thing for the right reason. So what do you have the courage to do? Hopefully it's more than killing the spiders when the women in your life call for help.

Being a hero is much more than putting on spandex and flying around the world. Although that sounds like fun too. When we care about people, and do something to help them, we are being their hero. Perhaps Aunt Mae was correct, there is a hero in all of us. She was talking to Peter Parker of Spider-man fame, but she's talking to all of us.

It's a challenge to do something for someone. It's a call to preach the good news to the poor. It's our turn to proclaim freedom for prisoners. It's our chance to recover sight for the blind. We can release the oppressed. We can tell the world that God loves them.

If that sounds familiar at all, it's because that's exactly what Jesus said He came to do. (Luke 4:18-19)

You can do it. Be the hero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...