Skip to main content

I Have Just One Resolution

One does not have to ever look at a calendar to know that a new year is upon us. You only have to watch for the Top 10 lists. Each year we are inundated with lists ranking people, music, shows, planets, species, colors and anything else you can imagine. I even found the following online.

Top 10 Dumbest Online Business Ideas That Made It Big Time
Top 10 Facts About Top 10 Facts
The Top 10 Weirdest USB Drives Ever

I'm really excited about that last one. I was concerned that I might never know which USB drive ranked #1 on the weirdness scale.

Despite our need to rank and rate everything, I do think this time of year comes with a benefit. The fact is that another year has gone by. We won't get 2010 back no matter how much we may want another shot. The turning of the calendar forces us to look forward.

I've entered new years with moderate success. Sometimes I make no list at all. Other years I have made a list that would rival any government document. This year I believe I will just have one.

I want to see myself as God sees me.

I'm finishing the 1-year Bible reading plan. It was set up chronologically, which gave some new insights. But the end brought the expected; a jaunt through the book of Revelation. I've made it a little past the letters to the 7 Churches. Here's what I found.

Just after the somewhat famous statement by Jesus to the Church in Laodicea about being lukewarm, He continues;

"You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see" Revelation 3:17-18.

They saw themselves in one way. But it turns out that Jesus' view of them was drastically different. That's a problem. It is entirely possible to walk through this life thinking I am doing ok, then find out that I was wrong....big time wrong.

I've had my experiences of finding out people saw me differently than I see me. In some ways, this made high school easier, because people were quite clear with me just what size of dork I was. But among adults, that kind of information can be like finding out the truth about Area 51. You have a pretty good guess, but you could be wrong.

Even scarier to me is the idea that Jesus might not see me like I see me. This list He gives the Laodiceans is not just a little off. They think they are ok and Jesus tells them they are "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked." You'd think you might catch some of that and realize you were naked.

I can set all the goals for myself that I want. They won't make a difference in the end if I do not have a true God's-eye view of my life. One goal will certainly be easier to keep track of this year. I have a feeling it will keep me busy.

How about you? Do you have any New Year's goals or resolutions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d