Skip to main content

How Much Do You Want?

Consumerism is our rear view mirror and God is in the blind spot.

Confused? So am I because when my dad was teaching me to drive he told me the driver's blind spot was a myth. 'Maniacs on the road just need to learn how to adjust their mirrors.' Regardless of the veracity on that little piece of parental advice, I do believe that our consumer mentality is causing us problems.

I listen to sports talk radio and I heard two similar stories this morning that make me wonder if I should have practiced my batting swing more as a kid. A pitcher for the Yankees is talking about opting out of his 90-million dollar contract so he can sign a bigger contract. Another player is asking his team to sign him for a 10-year, $300-million contract. (Excuse me for a moment while I ponder in which pocket to place the dime I just found.)

How much do you want? It's not just athletes who crave more. I watch families, including my own, as we take a look at our busy schedules and figure out how we can squeeze just one more appointment in. Much like George Costanza's wallet (from Seinfeld), our schedules are filled with too much. We just can't fit in everything, so choices have to be made.

But what seems to be missing is what God wants. Relax, there is no faith versus works discussion coming. But I did find a long sentence from the Apostle Paul which ends with 'this is God's will'. I don't know about you, but that phrase is like an excited 7th grade girl who updates her status in bold print, ALL CAPS and no less than 17 exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what does God want for us? 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. There are 3 things.
  1. Be joyful always.
  2. Pray continually.
  3. Give thanks in all circumstances.
Among some of the things found in the Bible, this would appear to be towards the easier side of things. I would even say this could be the simple outline for each of our days.

Be joyful - start your day choosing to make this day a good day. After all, today is the day the Lord has made. You're alive, so rejoice (Psalm 118:24). In many ways, this day will be what you make of it.

Pray continually - the whole day should be one full day of keeping connected with God. Clearly, that won't mean that you have your hands folded and head bowed all day. But consider your day and ask yourself, 'Is there anything in my day that won't be better if God's involved?'

Give thanks - end each day with a thank you to God. After all, no matter how many hard things came your way, you did survive. If nothing else, thank God for that.

I believe that God is looking for a change in perspective in His creation. Instead of constantly consuming and looking out for ourselves, we should be on the look-out for the real #1.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d