Skip to main content

Prayer Time Confidence

Growing up, I did not know very much about the financial situation of my parents. Actually, that's a bit of an understatement. Everything I knew can be summed up by what they told me about money: 'We don't have any.'

Clearly this wasn't true. They weren't keeping things from me, but whether it was Christmas-time or vacation time, expectations were balanced with the idea that we had enough for what was needed, but maybe not everything that was wanted.

If you're getting the idea that I went to school in cereal box shoes or that meals consisted of small bowls of porridge, you've gone a bit too far. I had everthing (and more) that I ever needed. Plus, as a teenager, my Mom was always magically able to make a $20 bill appear when I asked for some cash...although I still don't know if my Dad was aware of my Mom's ability. But I became quite confident that if I asked Mom, she would be like an ATM machine.

Fast forward almost 20 years and I am wondering how much my own children should know about what I make (or don't). The need to teach something became clear when my oldest daughter, now 9, asked if my mortgage payment was $100. Yeah, something like that, I told her.

When asked to dream big, she wants $100. That would pay for an American Girl doll (barely), but it also seems to be the magically realistic number of big amounts she could hope for. While she hasn't yet asked for money to simply go shopping, I am sensing her confidence in my ability to provide everything might be misplaced.

Last week I mentioned Pharaoh and discussed the idea of prayer and how we approach God. I said that patience was necessary, but I don't think it's the only thing that's needed. Now I don't know what Pharaoh's kids would have asked him for, but if the Disney cartoon The Prince of Egypt is any clue, I can guess. I imagine some of the following made the list: Israelite-made bricks, less plagues, more vertical stripes in their clothing and swimming lessons. And since they were royalty, I can bet they asked with confidence.

How does this connect to prayer you ask? I'm glad you asked.

Prayer is sometimes approached like a blank check we can write and know that God will cash. I have heard preachers and other Christians talk about how we should name it and claim it. Others seem to indicate that you might not have any faith at all if you don't give God step-by-step directions as to how to answer your very specific prayers.

I'm not so sure about that, but what would it look like for us to approach God with greater confidence? Having confidence is certainly something that would help in this area of prayer. Clearly we should have confidence when we talk with God. After all, He loves us and wants to give us good things (Matthew 7:11). Jesus told us we would do greater things (John 14:12). In James we read that those who doubt what they ask God for will become seasick (James 1:5-7).

Among these other scriptures that speak about confidence, I found the writer of Hebrews talking about having confidence in our walk with God. Confidence can lead to many great outcomes.

So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. (Hebrews 10:35)

So go ahead, pray with confidence. Maybe you should even ask for $100.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d