Skip to main content

Type-A Praying

I'm Type-A. I've only recently come to accept that, even though people have been calling me that for a while. For awhile I assumed that the 'A' in Type-A stood for Awesome. So I was pretty stoked when people would gawk at me and ask me if I realized how Type-A I was. I'd puff out my chest, pause for dramatic effect, then humbly respond, 'That's what they tell me."

But then I found out that's not what the 'A' stands for. (By the way, it also doesn't stand for arrogant, although I've been accused of that as well.) Type-A is for people who like order. While my life does not always glow with nuclear levels of organization, I do enjoy having a list to check off each day.

I hit the general areas of order pretty well. My movies and music are all stored in alphabetical order. The books in my office are arranged topically. Even my strategy for keeping clothing neat and folded has an order to it.

But what I have come to realize is that as much as I love the order behind it all, it's not the order I'm in love with. It's this desire to be prepared no matter the circumstances. I want to be able to hand a DC Talk cd to anyone who asks to see it just by glancing to the D's in my cd collection. Do you want to watch a superhero movie? I have them all together, next to chick flicks. (It's a his and hers situation at my house.) If I need to get dressed in the dark, I can do that too because blue shirts go with blue shirts and black shirts go with black shirts. Add a pair of jeans and I'm good to go.

I've even attempted to do this with my prayer life. I have a daily list of reminders. It's a general list. It doesn't limit what I can pray for that day. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I only pray for health on Thursdays. Mainly it just provides focus.

Of all my lists it is the most unsatisfying. Keep in mind the list itself is not a comfort, like some long lost blankie that smells of the child's first five years of life experiences. I want to be prepared. I want to be able to send up prayers that will thwart any impending danger or looming trial. I know they're out there.

Have you ever had someone ask you what you would ask for if you could ask God for anything? I would ask for knowledge. Foreknowledge. I want to know what is coming so I can pray for it. But life is not like that. If it were, Pharaoh might have said different things to Moses during those plagues.

Remember when he told Moses it was ok if the frogs hung around for another day? I think if he knew then that 8 more plagues were coming he might have answered differently. Take the frogs away and keep away any gnats, flies, darkness and killing of firstborn children.

If I knew today what was coming tomorrow, I'd have a better idea of how to pray specifically. But I don't. In the end it's probably a good thing. For now I'll keep making lists and asking God to take care of the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d