Skip to main content

Dinner with a Perfect Stranger



I recently read Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory. I initially picked it up because it sounded like a B-movie my wife once told me about. The actor called the actress by her real name. She laughe slightly, corrected him and they moved on with the scene. Apparently it was low budget or the director was sleeping. Maybe both.

Either way, this book is not based on that movie...thankfully.

This small book is as unassuming as the invitation it is based on. Businessman Nick Cominsky receives an invitation from none other than God. And apparently God likes Italian food because they meet at a pricy Italian restaurant, where God is on a first name basis with all the help staff. Not because He is God, mind you, just because He is friendly.

I had read a review on this book before reading the book. That can be dangerous, I know, but it's not lke Rob Bell wrote the book or the review. The review compared this book to The Shack, which I have also read.

If hearing it compared with The Shack really makes you want to read it or not, then forget you ever heard that. It's not The Shack, which is not to say it's either good or bad. It's just different. Yes, a guy meets with God and has a pretty in-depth conversation, but that's where I'd stop comparing.

What David Gregory has written here is an introductory course in apologetics with a splash of a New Believer's Sunday School class. It's all done in a conversational manner and Jesus (playing the part of God) comes off as reasonable and, more importantly, right.

I have a second copy to give away, which I let my wife read first, while I was reading my copy. If you want the woman's perspective here it is. When I read farther along than she had, she asked me if the whole book was discussing religion. She asked it in that way that told me she was hoping it didn't. The answer to that question is 'no'. (Disclaimer: My wife still likes the book, although I may have lost a few points including her in this post.)

I think the book could be a good example of how our conversations with people could be, even if they are not convinced about God like we are. There's no silly making-everything-in life-ok ending, which would make this book a chick flick. It ends with Jesus giving an invitation, which is what He's been doing for a long time now.

I received this book for review from my good friends at Waterbrook Multnomah. You can purchase a copy here. Or you can comment on my blog and I will pick a name out of the hat. The hat will contain the names of everyone who comments. But because I don't have a lot of extra postage cash right now, I'm going to limit this to US residents only. Thanks. I'll draw a name by next Wednesday.

If you're looking for even more information on this book, follow the links below.

www.dinnerwithaperfectstranger.com

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/dinner/TheBook.html

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/dinner/ReadingGuides.html

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would sign up to win free air if given a chance. -Dan Stevens
Anonymous said…
So is the only way you can get people to read your blog is by telling them they can win a something? :)

~Mary
Jason said…
Multnomah is a cool name. Hmmm, what if my name was Multnomah? Multnomah Folsom does have a sort of ring to it. If we are suggesting books though I recently rediscovered The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis and I remember it being quite good.
Rick Nier said…
I used a highly technological manner to make this a random draw. Despite Mary's kind remarks and Jason's humorous remarks, the winner is Dan.

Tell me the best way I can get you the book, Dan.

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d