Skip to main content

The Last to Die

Sometimes I like to imagine what it was like to be a 19-year old Israelite when the spies were sent in to explore the Promised Land. If you read the account you will see that only 2 of the 12 spies came back with good reports. Everyone else was afraid and refused to go in and claim God's promise. So God brings judgment, which you can read in Numbers 14:26-35.

In a nutshell, everyone 20 years and older is going to die in the desert. Which brings me back to imagining life for those 19-year olds. I have to believe their first response is a brush of the hand against the forehead while breathing a sigh of relief. 'Whew, we just made the cut-off.' I imagine this was quickly followed with disdain for the 20 and older crowd.

After all, there was to be 40 years of wandering in the desert because of the rebellion. God said it would be 1 year of desert wandering for every day the spies explored the land. I think I might wish for God to smite them all so we could just get on with it. After all, if God wants to see faith exercised, let a 19-year old lead a pack of unruly teenagers in to take over the Promised Land. That will give the Hittites something to think about.

Alas, that was not the judgment. 40 years of wandering while waiting for all the 20-and-over crowd to die.

What was it like for that last soldier to die? You know, that last of the disobedient generation. That generation that should have been sipping on lemonade in their homes in the Promised Land by this time.

They had all heard God's judgment. They had wandered in the desert. And one by one they had seen peers die. What was it like for this last guy? Surely anticipation was building up. I imagine some of the younger generation keeping track. 'What, he had a cold? Oh, he got better?' They try and hide their disappointment, but let's face it, this last soldier is the one guy between them and the Promised Land. Anticipation was building as the 40 years came to a close.

Talk about being without hope. If you are this last soldier, the writing is on the wall. Without hope. That is a scary feeling. We've all been there.
"Remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ." Ephesians 2:12-13
It doesn't have to be that way. Rebellion can be something we leave to the last generation. Wandering is not something that has to continue. Taking advantage of all God's promises is something we can do today.

The writer of Hebrews had some good advice on this topic.
"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first." Hebrews 3:12-14
That is a hope worth holding on to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d