Skip to main content

Less is More? That's Stupid Math


Perhaps you have heard that less is more. That’s ridiculous. More is more. Saying less is more is akin to saying that 2 = 3. Even a young child knows to choose the hand holding 2 treats over the hand holding one treat. Less being equivalent to more is mathematical nonsense. It’s something we tell ourselves when we want everyone to be content with having less.

I believe that the statement arrived as a push back to the idea that more is better. Now that is something I can get behind. For starters we don’t believe that more is better in a general way. We believe that more of the good stuff is better. We don’t want more bills, headaches and meetings. We want more money, fame and time to do what we enjoy. But is that always better?

The Apostle Paul said it best when he wrote the following;
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
~Philippians 4:12

It’s hard to argue against contentment as a virtue. But that doesn’t really answer the question regarding more being equivalent to better. Yet people have long argued that you can have too much of a good thing. Too many cookies will result in a stomach ache. Too much work may make Jack a dull boy, but too much play will lead to the unemployment line. And it didn’t take the smartest guy who ever lived to figure out that all the riches are still meaningless (Ecclesiastes 2:10-11).

Perhaps we should take a cue from Jesus. “He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him” Isaiah 53:2. Isaiah goes on to describe Jesus as being despised and held in low esteem. That seems to be a harsh labeling of God. But He must be self-aware and had a plan for us to be like Him.

“God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—
to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him” ~1 Corinthians 1:28-29.

We’re not more than we need to be. We don’t need more than the next person. Practicing contentment will be a key factor in discovering true joy in a life of balance where God knows the exact amount we need.

That will be a great thing to keep in mind as we serve up turkey and trimmings and begin our Christmas lists. Bigger is not always better. More is just that, more. So it would seem that while less may not be more, it is actually better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d