Skip to main content

There is a 'Meat' in Team

There is no 'I' in team. But there is an 'I' in win. And if you rearrange the letters in the word team you could spell me. Yeah, we could go round and round like this. Did you realize there is meat in team. Does that do anyone any good? I doubt it. 

I think our spelling gymnastics are beside the point. The fact is that we can make everything about us, which is the exact opposite of what a team should be.

I believe there are two important things to remember when it comes to teamwork.

Teamwork has a price.
So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. “Let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,” he said, “and then I will come with you.”
   “Go back,” Elijah replied. “What have I done to you?”
So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his servant. ~1 Kings 19:19-21

What did following Elijah cost to Elisha? He said good-bye to his parents. He destroyed his farming equipment. In fact, he slaughtered the 12 pair of oxen. That he had 12 pair of oxen shows he came from a wealthy family.
But Elisha destroyed it all. It was signifying that he would not be returning to the family business. I do not believe that most of us would have done that. We might decide to do something, but we would simply store everything, in case we wanted to come back to it.
Are we willing to pay the price?

Teamwork has a prize.
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?”
“Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,” Elisha replied.
“You have asked a difficult thing,” Elijah said, “yet if you see me when I am taken from you, it will be yours—otherwise, it will not.”~2 Kings 2:9-10
Here we have what is a somewhat sad story of the last time Elijah and Elisha were together on Earth. Elijah is called by God to go to Bethel, but it would appear as if everybody knew Elijah was about to be taken away by God. So Elisha decides he will not leave Elijah’s side.
Elijah asks what he can do and Elisha does a bold thing. He asks for a double portion of the spirit in Elijah. And that is exactly what happens. Elisha watches as Elijah is taken up in a whirlwind to Heaven. And the Bible records twice as many miracles performed by Elisha as performed by Elijah.

Elisha was committed to the team and to the cause. For that he received a double portion of the spirit when Elijah left.
Are we ready for the prize? When is the last time you sacrificed for the greater good of a team and saw it pay off with a prize?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d