Skip to main content

Taking Notes

Keat takes notes

Before I had children, I think I imagined that there would be times, perhaps twice daily, when I would sit down with my children and dispense my great wisdom in daily bite-size chunks. My children, eager to ingest this great knowledge, would pull out moleskin notebooks and jot down these pearls.

Reality has been slightly less like a movie with a sensei and a willing student and more like Mike Brady trying to control the children from Married...with Children. Eye rolls and deep sighs abound, especially if I'm interrupting an important moment in their video gaming.

(Sigh)

However, there is reason to have hope. On a recent Sunday morning, I noticed my 10-year old taking notes during the sermon. This thrilled me because we'd been having some difficulties helping her adjust to Big Church. I looked closer and noticed she was writing down a scripture verse. My first thought was that she was a rookie note-taker. Everyone knows you just write down the reference because you can come back to that later. If I write something down, it's to copy a quote from someone.

As a pastor, who often listens to other pastors and speakers, I'm often waiting for that one line that sums up the last several moments of inspired talk. When I talk, I'll even give myself notice in my notes when I'm coming to what I think will be that inspired moment for others.

Yeah, I may have something backwards here.

Think about this for a moment. Should we value the words of man over the Word of God? That's an easy one, for those of you taking notes. For all the great words we have from Apostles like Paul and Peter, they were inspired from God. While everything else written for the Church and by the Church in the last 2,000 years may not included in the Bible, I think the same rule applies.

If it's truth, it's God's Word. You may want to write that down so you don't forget it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...