Skip to main content

Greetings


Greetings are important. What we say and how we say it will determine where the conversation goes. For example;
If I say:                                                 
"Hey!" very largely and with a smile, you might assume I’m very excited to see you.
"Hi", mumbling and very softly, you might ask what’s wrong.
"Oh, it’s you guys…again", you might assume I don’t like you.
"Sup?" while coolly nodding my head, you might assume I’m cooler than I actually am.
Greetings are important. Which is why I think Paul was purposeful when he began his letter to Tim. In the very first verse, we learn who Paul is and what he is about.
1 Timothy 1:1
“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Savior and of Christ Jesus our hope,”
An apostle – this is not just any joe writing with some thoughts.
An apostle of Christ Jesus – you have to know who you work for.
An apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God – Paul didn’t apply for this job and beat out other applicants with an impressive resume. He was an apostle by the command of God.
But the greeting doesn’t stop there. Who is Paul writing to?
1 Timothy 1:2
“To Timothy my true son in the faith:”
Tim is Paul’s true son in the faith. We skip over that too quickly. We tend to read that with a bro-ski mentality. Yeah, Tim is that cool preacher dude who had that cool older friend who likes to write letters.
We mentally skip over what it means to be a son. But for followers of Jesus, being a son had taken on great meaning. A son shared the characteristics of his father. But it was more than simply having the same hair color or body type as your father. This was being of the same essence as your father.
This is why it was interpreted as blasphemy when Jesus claimed God as Father. It meant that Jesus believed He shared the characteristics of God the Father. Which He did!
So why is it so important that Paul calls Tim a true son in the faith? It’s because of what Paul was about to write. He had warnings for false teachers. He would share the gospel. Later in the letter, he will give instructions on worship, church leadership, and give advice about relationships.
But who was going to read this letter and then actually teach the Ephesians? Back in the day, letters were read out loud to the churches. Who would read this letter? It would be Tim. And when he taught some of these difficult matters, people might ask, ‘Well, who is Tim to be teaching us?’ After all, he’s just some punk kid!  
Timothy is the true son in the faith of Paul.
Who is Paul?
Paul is an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God!
Now let me ask you something. Who are you? You might point to your earthly heritage and tell me your parents’ names and your grandparents’ names. But you have a spiritual heritage. You have pastors and teachers. Who are they? True sons of faith of their pastors and teachers.
We have a long ancestry of pastors and teachers, each passing their faith along to the next generation. It all points back to God our Savior and Christ Jesus our hope. God commanded Paul. Paul passed it down to Timothy. And the gospel of Jesus has survived and been carried along to this day, where it now rests with you, true sons and daughters of the faith.
And so I greet you. May you continue to pass on the gospel message that has been passed on to you. You are nothing less than messengers of the greatest story ever told.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d