Skip to main content

Shhhh, It's a Secret!

There is a secret in the book of Revelation. It’s not my secret, mind you. I’m just as in the dark as you are. But there is a secret. As if it wasn’t enough to attempt to comprehend what everything written down means, there is a secret that is being kept from us.

It’s found in Revelation 10. John is faithfully taking notes on everything he hears and sees. This, in itself, is a miracle. My apologies to everybody else, but if I get swept up to a vision from Heaven, I probably won’t be taking along a pen and paper. I won’t even care to jot down notes using whatever piece of tech in my hand just became inconsequential to being in God’s presence.

But John is taking notes. Copious notes in fact. Somehow this guy remembers 22 chapters worth of Heaven. Meanwhile, if I’m shown a picture for 30 seconds and then asked questions about what I saw, I would likely fail.

In Revelation 10, we read of God telling John to put his pen down for a moment. A mighty angel stood and roared like a lion. When he did, the voices of the seven thunders spoke. Being the good reporter he was, John was about to write what he heard, when the voice from Heaven said to hold on. Scholars will tell us that thunder is connected to divine judgment and what the thunders spoke, like scrolls which have been sealed, will not be revealed until the proper time.

To be honest, this is what I like about God. Just when we get a bit saucy, thinking we know about Him and His plans, He does something like this to remind us there is plenty we do not know. See, God has been gracious enough to pull back the veil ever so slightly. “We see but a poor reflection”, to borrow the words of the Apostle Paul. “We know in part.” “We prophesy in part.” Paul, for all his knowledge and his great role in the New Testament Church, admits he only knows in part (1 Corinthians 13).

It shouldn’t surprise us that the future is a mystery. We deal with the unknown every day. Even as I plan all summer for a school year’s worth of mystery, I am left with many questions. What will this year bring? What students will accept Christ for the first time? Which teens or adults may reject Him?

And no matter how much you may wish for it be different, you have no more control over the future than anyone else. What will happen to you and I is a secret that is being kept from us until we need to know. Rather than leave us apprehensive, this should cause us to worship God all the more. After all, He is the only one who knows it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d