Skip to main content

The Key to Making a Great Name

Do you know what would make a great name for an epic hero?

Nimrod.

That’s right. Nimrod. The name you might hear relatives and friends calling someone they find to be stupid. Oh, wait, that doesn’t sound epic, does it?

It didn’t to me either. But at one time...

“Cush was the father of Nimrod, who grew to be a mighty warrior on the earth. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord; that is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.” ~Genesis 10:8-9

Nimrod was such a warrior that the next few verses detail the cities he built and the kingdom he established. Warrior, hunter, hero. Thy name is Nimrod.

Making Your Own Great Name

One would assume the name of the first mighty warrior to walk the earth would still be revered. But go ahead and tell someone they remind you of Nimrod and see how that goes over for you. 


via GIPHY

See, unlike other biblical names which are hard to spell and harder to pronounce, Nimrod now has a negative connotation. And that’s my point. 

Even if we go to the difficult work of making a great name for ourselves in one generation, it can vanish in the next. It’s not like we had to wait some 4-5,000 years for the name of Nimrod to to dissipate. 

You might think that a great name like Nimrod would be repeated by others closer to his lifetime. You know, young dads who wanted to convey to their sons the large dreams they had for their lives. But try to tell me about another great Nimrod in history. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Just as quickly as Nimrod’s fifteen minutes of fame began, it also ended. 

What’s In A Name, Anyway?

If anything, we’ve seen the ability for a name to retain fame become exponentially shorter than ever before. We used to call them one-hit wonders. Call them whatever you want, chances are the mention of many names will evoke a response of, “Who was that?” 

Even among those who were truly considered great in their field, be it athletics, entertainment, or business, within a generation or two their light fades. You might hear of their passing and read a tribute, but you know what the generations beyond will hear? 

Nothing.

Please don’t think of me as a downer. In most ways, I think it was supposed to be this way. The acerbic brother of Jesus had this to say; “Your life is like the morning fog - it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.” ~James 4:14

So if our best use of time isn’t spent building our own kingdom, what should we be doing? That answer should involve someone a bit more eternal. For proof, I send you to a small letter, found deep in the New Testament. 

John, the friend of Jesus, is encouraging the churches to keep supporting those who travel around sharing the Gospel of Jesus. Here’s why. “It was for the sake of the Name that they went out.” ~3 John 7

It was for the sake of the Name. Like any rapper worth his gold chain, you already know who it is. Our best efforts are spent building God’s kingdom, not our own.

Now What?

Does this take away from you living your best life now? Does it mean you shouldn’t live large and in charge? I suppose it depends on whose name you’re trying to build up. 

You do you. It’s your life. If you want, be a Nimrod. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d