Skip to main content

The One Thing Those Threatening Jesus Posts Get Right

You know those posts that talk about Jesus and then attempt to shame us into sharing? They are the ones that talk about how we share jokes every day but when something talks about Jesus, we just scroll on by. 

Never mind they might be a repeat of an email we were forwarding to all our friends twenty years ago, the shaming is ridiculous. As if Jesus would only be convinced of our love for Him when we hit share on a social media post. But...

There’s something they get right. 

via GIPHY


What Will We Hate on this Week?


I was thinking about this the other day when I had a Nickelback song stuck in my head. (That’s right, I said it.) Everyone loves to hate on Nickelback, saying all their songs sound the same. That might be true. But if you like that one Nickelback song, then you’ll enjoy all of them. 

The thing is Nickelback is the band everyone loves to hate...right now. But twenty years ago it was someone else. And isn’t there always a recent boy band to hate on while teenage girls lose their minds?

All I’m saying, so far, is that the things we tend to hate, en masse, fade away. 

So What is This Really About?


I’m related news, I’ve noticed a trend for Christians on social media. We love to dog pile the latest celebrity misdeed, political snafu, or error in some preacher’s thinking. Someone said something to offend us recently, right? Of course they did!

But who remembers what we were arguing about last month, last year, or last decade? The wolves in sheep’s clothing didn’t just arrive this year, or last year, or even with the rise of social media.

We have this habit of arguing over every little detail, something it seems Jesus told the religious leaders of His day that they shouldn’t be doing. Speaking of a group of people we Christians all love to hate on, have we been careful to ensure we haven’t become them?

Because to scroll through social media, something I don’t think we should get rid of, usually means to run across Christians arguing with other Christians about whether a praise song is praiseworthy. Or if a Christian writer has even read the Bible. Or if a celebrity has actually experienced salvation. 

I’m not saying there does not exist a right and a wrong in all the details of life. But when did we become the gatekeepers on every jot and tittle? Yes, conviction of sin is needed, but when did we become the convictors?

What Do We Win?

Was there a mention of a prize I missed, where we could win just by raging against everything? What did we gain by using all our words against something? 

What if the thing Christians are supposed to be known for wasn’t striking down every wrong thing but rather proclaiming what is good?

King David said to “taste and see that the Lord is good.” Sure, David raged against sin, but wasn’t most of that righteous anger pointed at God, asking why He wasn’t doing anything about it? When did we decide to take up that mantle and make sure everyone knew everything they were doing wrong? 

What Are We Catching?

I was going to remind us of the old proverb that more flies are caught with honey than with vinegar. The point of the saying is that we can get more accomplished with kindness than with harshness. 

But a quick Google search reveals that flies are actually attracted to the vinegar, because it smells like rotting fruit to them. They get caught in the honey, but that messes up the saying entirely, doesn’t it, Grandpa?

Maybe we should remember that more is caught than taught, which is why most parents have an embarrassing story to share about their toddlers repeating something they said, not necessarily what we taught them. 

So maybe those sugary-sweet, sickening posts that simply proclaim God’s love for people should be passed around a lot more often than the latest debate. 


Just maybe, you should pass this along to ten of your friends so you will experience blessing in the next hour. As long as you keep in mind that the blessing is simply a by-product of passing along something that is encouraging, rather than spreading around an argument. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d