Skip to main content

Book Review: Who Really Goes to Hell?

Have you ever considered how you would respond to an entirely new religion? What if someone (and by someone I mean someone respectable and believable) came along and told us that God had spoke to him and given him the real truth behind life and love and other mysteries? Obviously we can rule out people looking for spaceships behind comets, men wielding guns instead of knowledge and the guy at school who uses 'dude' as an exclamation point.

Most of you will read that first paragraph and answer that you believe God has already revealed the answers in the form of Jesus. And I would agree. But what if the traditional interpretations for what Jesus said were incorrect? I don't mean by a mile, although that should be considered as well.

If you care to continue with this logic, then you should probably pick up a copy of Who Really Goes to Hell? by David I Rudel. The subtitle, a lengthy one, says it all;
The Gospel You've Never Heard,
What a Protestant Bible written by Jews says about God's work through Christ
(A book for those in the church and those offended by it)


In essence, David tells us that we (those of living in the USA in 2010) have presupposed what 1st century Jews meant based on our culture. Sure, we understand that farming analogies given by Jesus weren't based on farms with combines, but what about our understanding of their viewpoints, their language and their beliefs?

A change here and perhaps a tweak there and we are left with some problems concerning the good news we share with people. Allowing this post to be a mere review is difficult, given the topic. David has admitted to writing a difficult book. But he supports almost every thought with scripture, giving us historical facts of Bible times as well as etymology.

While reading this book has been a struggle, due to its nature and content, David writes well and I highly recommend it. In the epilogue, he writes candidly that while many may not agree with everything he has written, a serious consideration of what he writes will create a more mature Christian as they study scripture and discuss with others what they believe. For my part, I am planning on breaking down several of his thoughts for you, my faithful readers, and I hope to have some good discussion as we go along. I'll even be bringing along a guest post from a friend with a copy of this book.

Who really goes to Hell? Don't you want to know?


David's blog: http://www.authentic-christianity.net/
The Gospel You've Never Heard booksite: http://www.whoreallygoestohell.com/
David's website on chess strategy: http://www.zukertort.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...