Skip to main content

What if...?

Jacie has many great characteristics, none the least of which is having me for a dad. But there is something which she picked up from her mother. Jennifer has this knack for wondering what could go wrong in a situation. In fact, she's working on a book called What to Suspect When You're Suspecting. I'm sure it'll be a best seller for psychiatrists and counselors around the world.

Jacie would easily fit in the category of people who watch a report on a measles outbreak and then start to itch. Recently her sister was sick and dehydrated. We had to admit her in a hospital to get her back to form. Involved with that was an IV pumping fluids into her body. Then this conversation;

Jacie: What's that in her arm?
Mom: It's an IV, giving Jerica fluids to make her better.
Jacie: Will I have to have an IV?
Mom: Are you sick?
Jacie: No, but what if I get sick some day and need an IV. (Tears) I don't want an IV.

It's the sinking suspicion that someday, somewhere, something will go wrong. At least Jacie will be prepared for it. Ok, Jacie is an easy target on this thing the Bible calls worry, but how are you doing? Do you find yourself fretting over situations that have not happened and may never happen?

I'm pretty sure this is what Jesus was talking about in Matthew 6:25-34. I'm fairly certain that He said there was no point and no profit. Plus, it shows no trust in our Father. If you're reading this and you start to worry if you'll be able to kick the habit of worrying, you should probably go back and read Jesus' words.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...