Skip to main content

No Longer Surprised

Call me jaded or even desensitized. Tell me I've lost my passion. Try to label me as losing my moral compass. You'll be wrong, but go ahead. I'm just no longer surprised.

I'm reading a lot of articles and blogs decrying the state of our nation, our role models and even the leaders in our communities. We are shocked and taken aback when people choose to do wrong. We wonder and moan aloud when sin takes a front seat, instead of being placed on the curb where it belongs. I'm not sure why.

Don't get me wrong. I am thankful to those who watch and warn. If there is danger ahead, I would like to know where not to step. But I think it's time that we stop pretending that we can live in a bubble of magic and rainbows. Jesus came to this world to redeem it from sin. If that was necessary back then, we can't expect that evil would just give up and crawl back home.

Just thinking about our over-sexualized culture (and the newest Disney darlings that join in) gets us all asking when someone will stand for what's right. Listen people, Paul was writing about this in 1 Corinthians 5:1-2. And Sodom and Gomorrah happened a long time before that. Guess what? Sin is not new and this is just one area that models well how old it is. Solomon was right when he wrote that there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9).

I'm not saying we should give up or resign ourselves to this predicament. How about we resolve not to sin (Psalm 17:3 / Daniel 1:8 / 1 Corinthians 2:2)? How about we acknowledge the evil around us and decide to stand for what is right (Philippians 4:8)? How about we no longer act surprised?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...