Skip to main content

Teen Drivers and Holding On

Young driver
I compared the teens I work with to bad drivers. Which is to say, I compared them to each other. Yeah, I was the only one really laughing when I did that, although a few fingers started pointing at each other. The truth is, my kids remain safe, thanks in large part to my keeping them off the streets and sidewalks and out of parking lots where teens are practicing their...ahem...skills.

But why would I discuss teen driving skills. Because the Bible verse we were looking at mentioned swerving. More to the point...

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
~Hebrews 10:23

So holding on to our faith should be nothing like how they drive. We shouldn't swerve, but this isn't because of how awesome we are. It's because God who promised knows how to drive, steer and any other metaphor you can think of for cars. The author of Hebrews tells us God is faithful. 

How do we do this? I could tell you stories involving Greek culture and small mirrors, but that would be Robert Fulgham's story from It Was On Fire When I Lay On It. Google it, it's a good story. 

My story could include driving into the back of big trucks, seeing my dad weep over his previously undamaged minivan. It could include doing 360's in a church van in the middle of a blizzard (not on purpose, of course). But those stories might not go over so well with the little gecko and those people who insure my driving. 

Needless to say, there have been moments when more focus might have been beneficial. Lack of focus leads to swerving, on the road and in the paths of life. That could almost be in a commencement address. The bottom line is we have great reason to hope. His name is Jesus. We have many things which can distract. Those things are called life. 

But we have a calling to hold on. Without swerving. Don't worry about your skills. God is faithful. 

Do you have any good stories of horrific driving?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...