Skip to main content

What's Stopping You?

Sometimes we talk about the Apostles as if everything was kittens and rainbows for these guys, as if everything they touched turned to gold. Yes, they had amazing displays of the Holy Spirit power. But let’s not pretend there weren’t obstacles to their mission, which, by the way, is also our mission.

It is interesting how the book of Acts begins and ends. In Acts 1 we have the disciples barely wanting to start their mission.

Do you remember Acts 1? Jesus tells them to wait in Jerusalem for the Holy Spirit. Instead of asking what that might be like, they ask when he’s going to come back. Jesus gives them the equivalent of ‘Don’t worry about it!’ Then He ascends right before their very eyes. Then they stand there with jaws dropped, like a bunch of Gomer Pyle stunt doubles, until an angel has to ask them what they are standing around for.

When the Holy Spirit comes on the disciples in Acts 2, it becomes a line in the sand. Goobers no more, the disciples become a force to be reckoned with.

And as we go through the early chapters, everyone is trying to stop the disciples from preaching about Jesus. Disciples are being arrested and killed. Even some young guy named Saul is taking it upon himself to travel around and arrest Christians from other cities.

Then Saul encounters Jesus, becomes Paul and it would appear all Heaven breaks loose. History tells us of how the disciples went all over the place, with a special focus on Peter going to the Gentiles and Paul travelling all over.

By the end of Acts, Paul is under house arrest in Rome, a long way from Jerusalem (Google Map). Acts 28 tells us he preached the word of God everyday and "nobody tries to stop him."

Going from a message that everyone tried to squelch to a message that nobody even tries to stop is quite a deal. You might even call it an act of God. I want to pause here and make sure you're with me, kind of like a children's cartoon character who asks questions and waits for a response. 



Fast forward to today. I hear lots of people talking about our rights to pray and our freedom of speech. I hear concern that we might once again be shoved to the side of the American way of life and be inhibited from sharing Jesus with our friends and neighbors.

“The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations … This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.”
This quote is by John Adams, commenting on the First Great Awakening, a revival that took place starting in the 1730's, before the Revolutionary War.

This quote is used, along with others, to prove that the United States was founded on Christian principles. When contrasted with headlines in more recent history, it would seem that religious freedom is under attack. From being free to refuse certain types of legally recognized marriages to the tax status of Christian schools, hospitals and charities, it appears the ability for Christianity to have an equal voice in the public square is becoming diminished.

Doomsday prophets are pointing to Revelation and assuring us that our basic rights will disappear next and that the end times are upon us. They might be right. What do I know?

But since when did Christians ever depend on what the world was allowing in order to complete our mission?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...