Skip to main content

That Was In My Job Description?

I wrote earlier this week about repeating myself. Follow the link if you want to read that, because I'm not going to repeat all that. I repeat, I will not repeat myself.

Of course, if you wish to be encircled in a flaming black hole of words, you'll read it and discover that I was basically saying that repeating yourself is okay. The idea is that I can imagine Jesus told some of the same stories a few times, repeating Himself for emphasis. So perhaps it's okay if we do the same.

But that is the very thing that many people seem to rail against in Church today. I'm including myself in this, of course. We want fresh. We want new. We want different...unless, of course, that involves change. Don't even get me started on change.

I was at our denominational annual meeting just last week. It's a fun, 2-day event where you get to sit on uncomfortable chairs and listen to everyone else talk. I think everyone should go at least once. After sitting in those chairs all day, they invite you back to sit again while the new guys get ordained.

I thought about skipping it. I wanted to skip it. But then I recalled a fellow youth pastor was getting ordained, so I went. Like I've gone for years before. The agenda hasn't changed. A few songs. An inspirational message. And then the call to the ordinand and communion. (Spell check is telling me ordinand isn't a word, but my Bishop uses it every year, so I know it is. Take that spell check!)

The charge to the ordinand is always the same. I paid most close attention in 2004, when I was ordained. But last week, as my butt became very uncomfortable, I tried listening again. I tuned out when I heard the Bishop remind the pastors that ours was a call to humility and quietude.

Oops! I guess it is good for me to hear the same message a second time. Or perhaps even more. Maybe reminding myself every year of my charge is a good idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his ...