Skip to main content

Blood Doctrine



Here's the description I was given of Blood Doctrine by Christian Piatt.

What would happen if scientists were to take blood samples from ancient relics of Jesus’ crucifixion and extract the DNA in order to create a clone?
Filled with action, murder and miracles, Blood Doctrine is a brilliant story that bridges the miracle of modern science and the miracle of the crucifixion of Christ.

This sounds like a great book that I would devour and recommend, right? Yeah, ummmmm...no! Let me start with the biggest problem, one I have mentioned here on my blog in the past. Foul language is unnecessary.

Especially for Christian authors, the use of bad words very profane language is not only unnecessary, but grasping for shock value to cover up deficits in other areas of the story. See, after the first couple of chapters, I was hopeful of two distinct matters. First, that the aforementioned profanity would stop, or at least slow down. Second, that the plot would be so entirely amazing that I might forgive the grievance of characters having a small vocabulary.

Let's not waste time talking about the characters, non-Christian, needing to sound authentic to make for a good story. If that was the intended purpose, it failed. Piatt had characters swearing in front of priests, albeit bad guy priests. Even the people who swear in my presence usually ask for a pardon on their French.

If nothing else, the bad language is an affront because I don't expect to see it in Christian novels. Call me a prude if you wish, I understand I can't expect purity in the world. However, when I open a book, it is by my choice.

Now, all of this may have been a blip on the radar had the story left me wanting more. The only thing I wanted was some conclusion. Piatt, I think, was attempting to weave two narratives together for the sake of combining historical narrative and modern science. From my vantage point, I was reading revisionist history and seeing no connection to the modern portion of the story.

Plus, I could see it coming, my disappointment that is. As the stories were reaching a climax and the pages were running out, I knew either things would be wrapped up too quickly or I would be left with questions. Neither is a good place to be in, but sadly I am left with questions.

It's unfortunate, because the idea was full of potential.

I was given this book by the good people over at SpeakEasy. They give me books in exchange for an honest review. I think we can all agree I've been honest here today.

Christian Piatt - Website
Christian - Blog (Patheos)

#SpeakeasyBloodDoctrine


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...