Skip to main content

Now What?

My next few posts will be portions of my sermons from the past couple of weeks. When the senior pastor is away, the youth pastor doesn't play. He gets to preach!

Well, that was a nice story. Jesus loved me. He died for me. He rose from the dead and told the Easter Bunny to leave me some eggs with chocolates in them for me. That was nice. I guess we can relax now until Christmas for the other big story. Or, for the fanatical, we could look ahead to Pentecost Sunday and celebrate the Holy Spirit for a Sunday. We could do that.

Not many of us would be so bold as to say that, at least not here inside these walls. I do wonder if we think it. But no, we profess to believe this. We profess God come to Earth, lived, crucified and rose among us, this ultimate of love stories. (And if I just said that last line without you thinking twice about it, then maybe you’re not a Christian, or perhaps you’ve been a Christian for too long. We profess God…come to Earth….lived, crucified and risen.)

When studying scripture, we're taught to get to the so what, the implications. We don't say so what as if it doesn't matter. We say so what as in, why does this matter. Never is this more necessary than post-Easter. For those who believe this love story to be true, the question becomes; Now What?

Because we believe it to be true, what comes next is a response on our part.

Now what?

Can’t you just picture the disciples standing around an empty tomb, looking at each other and asking, ‘Now what?’

This is the question we ask in many areas of our lives. Sometimes the answer is obvious.

Dinner is over. Now what? I guess we need to clean up.

The school year is almost over. Now what? This sort of depends on who you are. A student? You celebrate. A teacher? You also celebrate. A parent? Kids, I'll let you ask your parents for an answer to that one.

Sometimes the answer is a bit harder.

A high school break-up. Now what? We move on. But that's easier said than done.

A job is lost. Now what? We search the want-ads and update our resume. Again, easily said, but change is hard.

But sometimes the answer to Now what? is so important that it literally demands a total change in the course of our lives.

Easter happened. Now what?

It actually happened. God came to Earth as a man. He did some pretty amazing stuff. The week between the original Palm Sunday and the original Easter seems like a whirlwind of events, but it happened. We killed Jesus. (Does that sound a little too close to home? ‘I wasn't there’, you might protest. It might have been Jewish Pharisees and Roman soldiers on the scene, but it was love for us and a desire to clean up our sin that put Him there.) We killed Jesus.

But, being fully God, Jesus has a way of having His own way in things. He didn't ask anyone for permission. He didn't check with anyone else's schedule. He took a bat to the head of sin and bashed death to...well....death. Jesus rose victorious.

Now what?

to be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl

Patience

I am more than halfway through the last year of dropping one of my children off at school. It's my eighth grade daughter, for anyone keeping track of my family.  See, next year she will be at the high school, and her brother will drive her. He says that it's not cool for seniors to drive their freshman sister to school, but I bet it's cooler than being dropped off by your mom in a minivan.  So rather than groan about this daily responsibility, I've been reminiscing about what the drop-off line used to look like, way back in elementary school. Once our children were about halfway through their elementary years, the drop-off line became a test of patience.  Do you know which group you do not want to get caught behind in the parent drop-off line at an elementary school? The kindergartners. These little ones are barely able to walk, but now we put them in the high-pressure situation of trying to unbuckle their seat-belt, grab their backpack (which might be as tall as they a

Jury Duty

I was recently summoned to jury duty. I know, groan. Except I didn't. I had never experienced it before and was curious to see what it was like.   When the day to report arrives, they separate you into groups, asking various questions to decide if you will be selected to serve. Do you know the accused? Do you have conflicts that would keep you from serving? Can you stay focused?  I wanted to answer well, if only because my kids kept wishing me luck the day before, telling me they hoped I made the team. After all, who wants to be rejected? It occurred to me that there are things you probably shouldn’t say right away if you’re wanting to serve on a jury. I know, I know, people don’t typically want to serve on a jury. But that list didn’t seem nearly as humorous to me. Here are the things you probably shouldn’t say if you want to be selected for jury. I hold myself in contempt. You can’t handle the truth. We find the defendant guilty. I believe the judge looks pretty in his robe. I’d