Skip to main content

That's Not a Rat!

Perhaps you have heard a church mouse. But this was no mouse, despite the fact that it was loose in the church. This was a rat. Or, at least, so I thought. 
Is that glue on his fur?

The infestation was noticed a couple of weeks ago. 3 men with brooms were unable to stop it. An innocent child noticed it on a Wednesday night. Then a lot more children noticed it on a Sunday morning, while it waved its little arms and arrogantly pumped its chest, as if to say, 'Come and get some!'

Taking up the challenge, one man stepped up to solve the eliminate the problem. Much to the chagrin of ladies everywhere, 'eliminate' was used like the mafia might use the term. Unfortunately for that one man, he was not just battling a rodent. He was battling the prayers of my 7-year old daughter, lover of all God's creatures, no matter how vermin-like they may be. 

I knew we were all in trouble when she named him Frank. Frank the Rat. Tears flowed as I explained why Frank had to go. 

But as it turned out, Frank was going nowhere. Thanking us for the peanut butter left on a trap, Frank continued to live large and taunt us all. Actually, it's a good thing he did, because Frank the Rat turned out to be Chocolate Chip, the pet Gerbil of one of our preschool teachers. 

Like most things, it got me thinking.

Chocolate Chip, back where he belongs.
Don't let people tell you who and what you are.
We were hunting a rat void of emotion, because he was a rat. But Frank was not a rat and was not about to go down like a rat. I think I may have noticed him once, throwing the rat trap in my direction as if to say, 'Is that all you got?!?'

Misnamed and misunderstood, Frank...er....Chocolate Chip kept doing his thing, living as God intended. He was undeterred by the actions of those around him. 

Don't ever stop fighting for life.
You probably can't see it in the picture, but our gerbil friend was covered in glue from the trap. I don't know how he overcame, but the fact is that he did. 

For us, life can mean so many things. Not just life here, but eternal life. Not just breathing, but living the peace and joy as God intended. Not just our life, but those of everyone around us as well. Life!

Don't ever doubt the power of prayer.
Especially when it comes from the lips of a believing 7-year old girl. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Facebook Maybe

Granted, I'm a pastor. I have Type-A tendencies. Ok, my tendencies border on freakish OCD behavior patterns, but... Few things bother me more than the Facebook 'maybe'. I suppose I could go on and on about the grey areas of our society and the refusal of people to accept absolute standards. I could discuss the great need of people to accept that what is wrong for one person is likely wrong for everyone. I should certainly be concerned about mentioning that someone might have sin in their life. But I don't believe the Facebook 'maybe' is quite sin. Perhaps if I were coming up with new sins, I would add this to the list. But alas... Some might think the Facebook 'maybe' did not exist prior to the Internet, but they would be wrong. When I was in high school and asked a girl out on a date, I would normally be told that if they had no other plans, if nobody else called them, if there was nothing good on television and their hair did not need washing, then per...

Accountable

I recently officiated a wedding. The ceremony was simple, lovely, and ended with another couple professing to keep the covenant of marriage. But it all started with a clarification...from me. At our first premarital counseling session, as I have done with every couple I have agreed to marry, I clarified a couple of matters. First, I officiate Christian weddings, where both spouses-to-be are professing Christians. I firmly believe that marriage is difficult enough, without adding disagreements about God into the mix. Second, as a minister of Jesus Christ, I believe the pastor’s role in a wedding is to represent the blessing of God on that union. So we have several sessions of premarital counseling where we discuss married life. It’s not that I have this imaginary card in my head, with a picture of me on the front and my stats on the back. (You know, like a baseball card.) Ok, I do picture cards. Pastor cards! And being a competitive guy, I want my stats to look good. The number of coupl...

But I Wanted It

As I've said before , I'm looking for a new place to do youth ministry. Job searching in itself can be a full time task. Unfortunately, no one is paying me to look for a job. And when you haven't had to find a job in 15 years, the whole experience can feel brand new. And nerve-wracking. And quiet. So very, very quiet. I may spend a few hours here and there sending out my resumes and writing cover letters. But the churches I'm sending my information to have their own timeline. And sometimes that timeline does not involve acknowledging my presence. Which is fine, especially if one of the churches I've applied to is reading this right now. I understand those looking for youth pastors will have their own agenda and their own timeline. But it leaves me sitting here with a deafening quiet around me. I am choosing to walk by faith through these days, picturing God working behind the scenes (always behind the scenes) and holding His voice very still, until He is re...